Sunday, June 20, 2010

Project Evaluation

I believe the teachers I am working with are very receptive to implementing Moodle, each in their own way. The number of available computer stations in their labs as well as the available time in the full computer labs is the biggest factor in their implementation decisions. Ideally, it would be nice if every student had a station, but that is not the case. Brainstorming brought various options. Moodle could be used as only an organizational file for teacher lesson and while not the best use of the technology, it does have the teacher using Moodle. Other solutions include; alternating students between computer lessons and non-computer lessons, reserving more time in the full computer labs, and assigning it as homework. Until all students have access anytime they need it, it will continue to be only a teacher’s tool instead of a stand alone program.
Teachers have the categories identified for their program areas and beginning to enter those categories and electronic documents such as worksheets and PowerPoint presentations. The documents are scattered between their work computer, home computer, flash drives, CDs and the school’s server. At the very least they are organizing their documents and lessons into one common area, Moodle. They are identifying categories that need further supportive assignments and activities. Next fall, I will continue to work with them, giving mini lessons such as linking web pages and sites in documents, adding audio to PowerPoint presentations and setting up Webquest lessons. Also the ISD’s Instructional Services Manager will put together mini in-services based on our needs and requests.

I believe the approach I took to implementing my project was the best approach, but I feel like I am only a couple of steps ahead of them. I had to show a comfort level that I have not actually achieved. The project has built my confidence in some of the technologies, but also showed me the areas I need to strengthen. I believe the confidence I have gained will allow my next project to be much smoother.

In summary, I researched implementing Moodle as a classroom management tool. I enlisted good strategies in implementing my own Moodle site as well as three other teacher’s sites. I have modeled my approach and techniques using Moodle and have demonstrated the value of an LMS. I have begun incorporating technology into my lessons and I am working with other teachers to improve their knowledge as well. I am identifying my strengths and weaknesses and adapting my time-lines accordingly.
We are bringing the technology of the 21st century into our classes and changing our methods to adapt to a changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment