Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Project Implementation



Hello, this blog is available as a podcast. Click on the blog title to listen.

It’s real simple to say to another instructor,”It’s easy.” or “Just get your students to help.”, but it is much more effective by showing them that it can be easy. I have started converting my program to electronic and I’m showing off to anyone I can. I borrowed a Flip Video camcorder from our Math and Science Department and asked students to script and shoot several basic videos that include safe operation of shop equipment. I was met with two different reactions.

My afternoon class took to it with great enthusiasm. They worked as a team in scripting, choreographing and acting. The student that narrated spoke more words in the video than he had all year. It was amazing to see. They took pride in getting everything right and they had fun while doing it. They were not happy with part of the video, so reshot that part the next day. They are still rolling by starting on the next one. Wow!

My morning class was just the opposite. They are a loud bunch, never afraid to speak up, but they avoided this assignment like the plague. The first day they did any job not to have to do a video. The second day, I explained that this was their last academic assignment of the year and time was running out. Three of the students slowly began working out the details of a video. They soon got into the assignment and like the afternoon class became enthralled. They too wanted to get everything right, not settling for close enough. I’ll see what tomorrow brings for the rest of that class.

With videos in hand (literally), I began showing them to other instructors. I think they were amazed on several fronts. As they know some of these students, they were surprised how well they presented in the videos. They could hardly believe they were shot in such short time. They also liked ease in which a Flip camcorder works, nothing complicated. I offered to send some of my afternoon students to their class to shoot a safety video. I think some will take me up on it. They want to see how I’ll incorporate these into Moodle. I have their interest.

I am in the process of linking the videos to my Moodle site. Once that is completed, I’ll show the other instructors how the videos can be used and how to set it up. I also have the receptionist scanning documents for me and I’ll show my colleagues how to add the documents as assignments to Moodle. We have 5 days at the end of this school year without students. My goal is to get at least three other instructors to begin setting up Moodle for their classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment